Saturday, April 3, 2010

My Next 30 Years

It is officially after midnight so today is the big day. 
I am now a woman at the ripe "old" age of 30! 
**sigh**


My house is quiet for the fist time today since I am the last one up and I sit here pondering my last 30 years. I have been so richly blessed. As I sit here reminiscing I think of the following perks in my life;


*I was born to a loving Father and Mother who have never passed an opportunity to share their testimonies with me.
*With the help of my Dad I built the biggest indian house Meridian Elementary has ever seen! (to their dismay)
*I took 1st place at the Idaho State Fair for oil painting when I was 11 years old.
*I won Best Director and Best Dramatic Actress my senior year of high school.
*I became a girl somewhere around the age of 17. If you didn't know me then then you don't know what I am talking about, but I know!
*I competed with the dance team Del Sol and took 2nd place in country swing and I think we took 1st place for our group swing but I am not sure on that one.
* I have weeniered a TON of cars and if you don't know what that is you don't want to!
*I worked for Starlight Mtn. Theatre for their first 2 summer seasons and one winter season as an actress and choreographer.
*I could go on and on about my theatrical resume but lets just say I have done some directing, acting, dancing and choreography. By the way, I love it!
*I survived a couple broken hearts before I met my eternal companion of whom I was sealed to for time and all eternity. This is a big one, the highlight of the first 30 for sure.
*I am the mother of 3 beautiful, funny, smart little girls who remind me everyday the important things in life. 
*I have been in 44 states. 
*I homeschool my girls.
*If you give me a quote from a movie I can almost always guess the movie! So Cool!


I have learned that I am afraid of not being enough. As a kid I wanted to grow up to be amazing. As I sit here in my pj's, a few pounds more than I would like, having done nothing more than change a diaper, go to the store, and pick up a few toys I worry that that dream has faded. I love being a wife and I LOVE being a mom but my days in the spotlight seem so far away.


So... as I prepare myself to live my first day as my 30 year old self I present to you "My Next 30 Years"


*I will get a degree.
*I will discover a new talent, not singing, I have already tried to discover that one a few times and it just ain't gonna happen!
*I will have another baby, maybe 2.
*I will learn to enjoy cooking.
*I will teach my kids about health and nutrition through example.
*I will visit the other 6 states.
*I will probably be a grandma, not that that helps my emotions any today but oh well.
*I will vacation with my best friend for a girl's weekend!!!
*I will take dance lessons with my husband.
*I will live in one place for at least 5 years...maybe.
*I will be completely out of debt.
*I will care less about the silly stuff and spend more time reading with my kids.
*I will help each of my children discover at least one new talent, this will be a tough one since they are good at everything.
*I will be amazing....


Goodnight and Happy Birthday to ME!!!!

6 comments:

Cathy said...

Happy Birthday, Geri!! You already are amazing. Sometimes the best kind of amazing is the quiet, every day kind. But, I do like your list. Goals make life interesting - and endurable on those not so great days. I hope you have a great day!! Oh, and "My mother said in this life you can either be oh so smart, or oh so nice. I tried for years being smart; I recommend nice." What's that movie?

Walker Family said...

Geri~ happy birthday, i enjoyed reading your post so much, gave me goosebumps actually... Im gald that you shared all your future goals! those are good ones :) Hope you have a terrific Birthday!

Henry Family said...

I have something to add to both of your lists. I hope that is okay. First 30 years - You took care of your 3 younger siblings before you were old enough to, and did an amazing job. I remember one time getting into trouble at like 11 or something and having you literally rock me in your arms because you felt sorry for me. Awe.. sweet Geri. Next 30 years - You will be an amazing friend to your siblings and you and I will strengthen the bond that started when I visited. Call me psychic... I can already see it happening! I love you so much and actually teared up while I read your AMAZING accomplishments... Happy Birthday Ger Bear ♥ If I were there I would o pull out the J.D. and toast to the next 30! lol

Its All Good Ya'll said...

Oh, my dear friend Cathy...the quote is actually,

"My mother used to tell me, 'Elwood,' --she always called me Elwood-- 'Elwood, in this world you can be oh-so-smart or oh-so-nice. For years I tried smart. I recommend nice.'"

I directed Harvey my junior year of high school and Jimmy Stewart is one of my all time favs!

Thanks for the challenge I had to really think about that one for a minute!

Abuelita said...

My sweet baby bear - with all the love my heart can hold I love you...you go out and BE AMAZING! Because one of my very favorite things about you, and one I aspire to daily is, that you are never afraid to learn something new in front of people...not very many people possess this very special gift...my guess is....you will far exceed 'amazing' in others eyes, because you already have in mine.

Shena said...

I feel ya! You are of course amazing! I know people tell you that but it's hard for you to feel sometimes. I feel the same way! Motherhood is a sacrifice. I hope and pray that as my kids become more self sufficient that I can find myself again. I believe it's easier for our husbands because they get their careers and feel like they actually did something during the day. Cooking dinner, cleaning house and doing homework doesn't feel like much of an accomplishment! We hope your Wisconsin adventure is all you hope it to be! Good luck! Loves from NC! and ps... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!