(1) We live in Tornado territory, who knew!?!
This picture was taken from our neighbors deck.
A little creepy don't you think?
(2) There is no such thing as a short vowel "a" sound.
The accent here is kind of whiney but pretty easy to understand most of the time. I have the hardest time understanding when they say words with "a". For example the first time I went grocery shopping the cashier asked me what kind of bage I wanted. She said it 3 times and then finally held up a plastic bag and a paper bag and asked me to pick. I had no idea what she was saying. I have had a few embarrassing moments just like this.
(3) If someone asks if you want a drink from the "bubbler" don't run away it is just a drinking fountain.
(4) I always thought that Wisconsin was the dairy state... I have learned that it is actually the "beer and brats" state. We even attended the Worlds largest Brat Festival. I am assuming it is the largest because it is the only one. Just a guess. I think they are disgusting! For those of you who don't know a brat is its a large sausage, kind of like a hot dog with sauerkraut. ewwww!
Denae, Naomi, and I took a ride on the ferris wheel at the festival.
(5) We live in a cute little town just outside of the big city and in this town we have as many public parks as Provo has LDS church buildings! They are beautiful updated parks and we discover a new one everyday. It is so much fun!
(6) I have never been anywhere that you can drive through a big city, then drive through the country complete with farms and barns and then before you know it you are in the city again.
(7) When I pictured Wisconsin all I could see was snow and cold but it actually has 4 distinct seasons. It is very humid and green here which we love! Rumor is the worst 2 months are January and February and even the people from here dread it and say it is miserable!
Oh goody, I can't wait!
(8) It is very popular to go to the beach here.... It is really sad though, the people here think they have a beach and I guess technically they do but sitting in the dirt next to a waveless lake is just not the same as being in the beautiful sand next to the ocean.
(9) If you have to move twice in 2 months this is the place to do it! Our ward has been amazing! They have been so welcoming and have bent over backwards to help us with all of our complications during this transition time. They have welcomed us as family and we feel apart of them already. I was concerned about this because we left the most amazing ward I have ever been in and we miss them so much!
(10) A side affect of moving as much as we do is that whenever I walk into a familiar store like Walmart, I have to close my eyes for a moment and try to figure out which state I am in so that I know which direction I need to go to get what I need. Luckily this area does not have very many familiar stores. All of the groceries stores are different, even Walmart which is a half hour away has an escalator. You park underneath and then ride the escalator to the store, the kids love it. After you have bought your groceries there is an escalator for you and then a separate one for your cart. I never have to figure out where I am. It is kind of nice.
It is an interesting place to be for awhile.
We are enjoying learning about a new place with new people and a new culture.
Stay tuned for our life in Wisconsin.


4 comments:
Wow!! How exciting! I have been waiting for an update like this. I love the ferris wheel pics :) I miss you guys so much and can't wait to see all of my "best friends" in August!!!
Yay! I loved this post and i loved all the pics!! especially the one of your girls on the slide!!! so cute!!!!!! Cant wait to see you sis! love you! oh and the escalator in walmart sounds pretty awesome:) lol!
glad to see you are back. Looking forward to seeing you in Idaho.
Great to see how things are going for you guys. That picture of the tornado is crazy!
Post a Comment