
Have you ever heard of a brain fart?
Well I had a big one!
For some time now the girls have been begging for a pet! We rent so our options are limited, which really doesn't bother me or Jacob. So we have been trying to come up with a compromise. Jacob was pushing for a goldfish but I hate them. They die so fast and the bowl is always gross.
This last weekend when we went to the coast I got this "great" idea.
NOT!
Yes, we really are the proud owners of 2 hermit crabs.
We were standing there in front of this big cage and the girls were in complete awe of these mysterious creatures. So I asked the guy, "are they easy to take care of?" His exact words were, "they pretty much take care of themselves and will live for a couple of years".
So Jacob and I looked at each other and continued to talk about it all weekend. Just before we left we stopped by and let the girls pick a crab each.
They were so excited!
We get in the car....
I place them on floor of the front seat right in front of me....
I start to hear them crawling around...
I pull one leg up...
I pull another leg up...
An hour later I demand we pull over the car and put them somewhere else because my skin is crawling, my stomach is in knots, and my legs are cramping!
Jacob giggles a little but finds a nice cushy area in the back with the luggage.
So much better, or so I thought. When we arrived home after midnight we carried the girls in to bed and came out to get the luggage. Jacob opened the hatch and I hear, "uh-oh".
WHAT!?
Sure enough, one of the crabs climbed up the wall pushed open his little hatch and was now missing. We started pulling stuff out carefully. We looked everywhere and no crab. Then I got real quiet and started listening. I could hear him scratching on something.
That dang stupid creature had crawled out of his cage, through the luggage, over the backseat, onto the floor and was sitting under MY passenger seat!!!!!!
If we had driven even another 30 min. that THING probably would have reached my feet and I would have freaked!
To make this long story a little longer, Naomi's crab never really moved. Ever. And then began to stink, hint, hint.
So, we headed to Petsmart.
As Naomi is picking her second crab I asked the lady if she has any paper work on how to take care of them. She hands me a pamphlet. The first thing I see is "Hermit Crabs may grow to be 6 inches long and can live to be 20 years"!
WHAT THE?!?!
I turned the page...
I learn they need a bigger cage, I learn I have to bathe them, I learn they have to have special water, I learn they need several shells, I learn they need a special diet.....
I could strangle that kid who said "they pretty much take care of themselves"!
So here I am with 2 hermit crabs probably until I have grandchildren.
Denae's is named Sparkles Flower Chandler, but we just call her Sparkles. Naomi's is named John. Sometimes she says her name is John Sparkles to please her sister but usually she says "mine is a girl, and I call her John, just John."
Here is a video of us giving them their first bath. You can see I am not real comfortable with this new situation but I try to remain calm for the girls. Try.
5 comments:
YOU ARE CRAZY! but what a nice mommy to go through with it anyway. Denae does a great job with running the camera. i lover her commentary..."look at that shine." too cute!
we wardlings have had several hermit crabs over the years and besides changing the sand bedding, feeding and watering them, and the extra shells, they did take care of themselves. one time we had two...named them bert and ernie. all was good until bert ate ernie. overall-they are fun to watch.(The canabolism happened over night...thankfully no one saw). have fun with your new pets.
HAHA HA HAHA HA HA HA HAHA!
HA!
Ho!
Boy!
That's a good one.
If they really get that big you could always EAT them.
Problem solved. ;)
ewww! you are brave! my kids are just out of luck if they want those ugly things! what a nice mommy you are! Oh and I love that Naomi named hers "Johh" :) too cute :) and Aliahs screams in the background! Miss you!!
EWWWWWWWW!!!!!! THAT'S ABOUT ALL I HAVE TO SAY ON THE MATTER IS EWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! Oh and I agree with you Sarah!!!
Post a Comment