Saturday, June 27, 2009

A Precious Moment

A few nights ago Aliya would not fall asleep. So I desperately went to the hall closet and grabbed a couple Dr. Seuss books. If not to tire her it would at least entertain me. She was not into it and I soon gave up.
Fast forward to last night. We got home late because we met up with three other couples from our ward and played games until 11pm. Aliya did not fall asleep until after 12am. Then at 4:30am this morning she woke up and was ready to play. I grumbled my way out of bed to fetch her. I tried to talk her into laying down with me but she was wide awake. So we headed out into the hallway.
She immediately went for the closet door.
I ignored her and went to make a bottle. I handed her a bottle and a graham cracker and looked for a comfy place to nap.
She grabbed my hand and pulled me to the closet door. I instantly became annoyed and opened the door. All I could think about was how tired I was and my to-do list that started in a couple hours.
Then she pointed at the books.
OH! I got choked up and my heart immediately softened. She just wanted a few minutes with Mommy. I pulled a book from the shelf and she quickly turned and scampered across the room. She pulled herself up on the couch and patted the seat next to her.
All of a sudden I was no longer tired, I did not care what time I needed to get up and I did not care what the current time was.
I needed some Aliya and me time.
We read "To Think I Saw it on Mulberry Street" and then she curled up on my lap and went back to sleep. Before I hurried off to bed I took a moment to say a prayer of thanks.
My Dear Heavenly Father, thank you so much for not letting me miss out on such a sweet moment and special memory with my baby girl.

2 comments:

casa chandler said...

Gotta love those tender mercies!

mom said...

Ah Geri - you know what I'm grateful for? That my sweet baby girl has grown into this amazing woman! Thank you for sharing yet another story that reminds me once again why you are my hero.